Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Dahn Taht (Egg Custard Tart)

So I have been wanting to make dahnt Taht (egg custard tart to those not in the know). It seems complicated but only because it is a Chinese dim sum item that I oh so love. Even as a kid, I couldn't get enough of these. My Godmother who use to care for me as a young child would make these for me and other Chinese desserts. I love her Dahn Tahts. I miss her and I miss the things that she would make for me. But Dahn Tahts were one of those specialty items that I wish I could have learned from her when I got older. Unfortunately I never got the chance. She passed away during my 2nd year of college when I was in the East Coast. Dumb thing, I was in RI and she was in DC. I could have made the trip out there despite my lack of funds.

However, every time I think of any Chinese Desserts, I think of her. So when I attempted to make these tartlettes of egg custardy goodness, I was thinking of her the whole time.

How did it turn out? I didn't like the crust. I'm not use to using shortening as my fat in any dough other then snicker doodle cookies. I am use to using the good old yellow fat known as butter. The Chinese are not known for their desserts. But when making it, they use lard as their fat.

The recipe called for 1 cup of flour, 1 tablespoon of sugar, 1/4 cup of lard/shortening, 1/4 cup of ice water plus a few teaspoons if needed. So it is a basic tart/pie dough kind of. But I think I am going to tinkle with this a bit.

The custard came out alright. But it was missing something. Not sure what, but it was missing something. The recipe I found called for 2 eggs, 1/2 cup of sugar, 1/2 cup of milk, and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla. I am thinking of adding something else to it. Even if it isn't traditional, to take this dahn taht to another level of some sort. I already know there is no way for me to recreate the dahn taht that my Godmother made for me as a kid but I think she would be proud of me for creating something of my own.

So there are pictures. If any of you have any suggestions, please feel free to let me know. Again, no drama, no hate.

Unbaked dahn taht shells (this was just a test run so don't diss the appearance)


Unbaked shells from the top view


Filling is in after the shells have been par baked


Ready to go into the oven to set the custard filling



Finished Mini Dahn Taht
Overall-visually it doesn't look too bad. Personally, I think it needs something else. Either that or I am way too critical of my own work.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome. Btw did the undersides/bottoms stay flat or did they bulge up a bit?

    I take it the custard part turned out as expected?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey WingedPower! The tart shell did stay flat. I docked the dough before baking it. I think of doing it again this weekend if I have time. This time making the shell with butter instead of shortening. The custard came out pretty good. I was proud of it. I am thinking of adding almond extract in it to give it this nuttiness but I really want to perfect the original first.

    ReplyDelete